Spring is in the air! The weather is getting warmer, the sun is shining, and the bright and beautiful flowers will soon be in bloom. In honor of spring’s arrival, and to celebrate all the brilliant colors that come along with it, we decided to share a fun, easy craft.
The “Stained Glass” Rainbow is a great project to hang and display in your home or classroom. We recommend hanging the rainbow on a window so the light can catch all the beautiful colors. So clear off the table, open your windows to catch the refreshing Spring breeze, and start creating!
What You Will Need:
- Black construction paper
- Contact paper
- Tissue paper in rainbow colors
1. Fold the construction paper in half and cut a half rainbow shape (when you unfold the paper you want to end up rainbow shape).
2. Keeping the construction paper folded, start cutting out rainbow stripes. Start from the top of the rainbow and, when you get to the bottom, cut the stripe out, leaving the bottom of the rainbow uncut.
3. Repeat cutting stripes six more times, leaving space in between each stripe, until the rainbow shape is complete.
4. Next, open the rainbow and carefully lay it down flat on the sticky side of the contact paper.
5. Cut the tissue paper into small squares. Once you have your tissue squares, start sticking them to the rainbow stripes on the contact paper. Remember to place them in the correct color order – red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet!
6. Hang your rainbow on a window where it will catch some sun and reflect its beautiful spring colors!
We want to see your finished projects! Take a picture of your stained glass rainbow and post it to the Summit Academy Facebook page with the hashtag #SummitRainbow. We can’t wait!
You can also find this project on the Summit Academy Pinterest page. Check back each month for fun new project ideas!